Thursday, February 5, 2009

I Can Hear the Bells

My sister started to plan her wedding at the age of five. She obsessed over every little detail in these wedding outlines - dresses, music, flowers... Every year or so the general plan would change. One year she dreamed of an outdoor wedding with yellow bridesmaid dresses and daisy bouquets. The next, a grand ball with fancy appetizers and champagne.

Things only got worse when she got to her teenage years. Now that there were actual boys in her life the plans became much more elaborate. Within the first week of dating a boy she would have their lives planned out. She prepared names for the children, the number of pets she hoped to have... everything.

Finally, at the age of 26, Kate got her wish. Her boyfriend of two years, Chris Davenport, popped the question over a meal of Indian Curry. Now it was time to start planning... for real...

So, anyway... what does this have to do with singing? Well, it was in the months leading up to the wedding that I first heard the song "I Can Hear the Bells" from the musical, Hairspray. In the song the main character plans out the life she hopes to have with the cutest boy in school. I knew it would be a great song to sing in honor of Kate, and I had the perfect opportunity coming up... the rehearsal dinner.

When the big night came I explained why I chose the song and told everyone I had altered a few lyrics to make the piece more relevant. Then I pressed 'play' on my little stereo and the show began...
But GAH! The performance was not a smooth one. Halfway through the song my mind went blank. Lyrics? What lyrics? I had a moment of panic and had no idea what came next. I had to stop and wait until I could find my place later in the song. Since I was using a karaoke accompaniment I had no way to improvise and back up.
Somehow I managed to find my place and continue the song. I hardly remember the performance now, I think I've blocked most of it from my memory. Talk about embarrassing!

Following my forgetful crooning I felt horrible. Of all the times to stumble! I was so excited about performing for my sister and I went and messed it up! Thankfully, it was the best audience one could hope for. I was among friends and family and no one cared that I had forgotten a few lines. My sister was especially grateful. Even though I still regretted my brain freeze I could tell she was touched by the effort.

Now that she's married I suppose the wedding dreams are over. But that doesn't mean her planning has come to a halt. Maybe if I can find an appropriate song I can perform it at a baby shower...

No comments:

Post a Comment