Once a Reveler, always a Reveler.
For the past two years, I have been involved in a singing group known as The Washington Revels. I got involved when my sister auditioned for their winter musical in 2007. I started as a volunteer, but quickly became an addict. I'm about to start rehearsals for May Revels and I couldn't be more excited.
What are the Revels? I always have a hard time explaining Revels to people, so I'll have to quote the Washington Revels website on this one:
"Using a colorful blend of traditional music, dance, drama and poetry, Revels creates participatory performance and educational programs centered around celebrations of important cultural events. The 'core' celebrations revolve around the cyclical renewal of life reflected in the circle of the seasons: the rebirth of Spring, and the return of light following the shortest day of the Winter Solstice. Many of the traditions and rituals surrounding these events are shared, in varying forms, by people across the world."
Basically, it's a group of fun people singing fun songs and having a fabulous time doing it.
The Revels is more than just a performance group, it's a community. There are Revels parties, Revels dances, Revels pub sings... and all this on top of regular rehearsals! Some might call it a cult... but it's a singing, dancing, celebrating life kinda cult.
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


That sounds like a blast! And perfect for a girl with such a vivacious personality!
ReplyDelete