'Team Awesome' began as a silly joke, but the more we thought about the idea, the more we liked it... we all enjoyed karaoking, why not make it into a sport? We started to plan team names, team numbers, t-shirts, slogans... it was silly and ridiculous and absolutely fabulous.
However, after 8 months, 'Team Awesome' had yet to attend a single karaoke spot! There were no t-shirts, our facebook group had no new postings, and we hadn't recruited any new members. It was embarrassing. Here we were, ready to challenge the world of drunk off-key singing, and we hadn't even had a practice session. It was time to get our act together and find karaoke venue.
February, 2008. It happened. A group of 7 Team Awesomers walked into a sketchy bar in Alexandria Virginia and found themselves a table at the back. It wasn't long before they got their hands on the book of karaoke tunes and started to plot...
I had the pleasure of being the first Awesomer on stage. I have to admit, I was a little nervous. I grabbed Melissa and Aaron and asked them to sing backup. They obliged and joined me up on the stage. I went for a classic, "Sweet Caroline." It's always a crowd-pleaser. By the first chorus I had the crowd swaying their hands in the air and yelling "So Good! So Good!"Kevin and Learneus brought down the house with some David Bowie tunes. Who doesn't enjoy a pair of good-looking boys singing some "Lady Stardust?"

But Aaron really stole the show. He hopped up on stage and gave the best performance of the "Humpty Dance" I have ever seen. The entire bar went wild and two random girls jumped up behind Aaron to act as backup dancers . What a show!


No comments:
Post a Comment